Monday, July 16, 2012

Lesson learned? I hope so.

Self-pity is a slimy, bottomless pit. Once you fall in, you tend to go deeper and deeper into the mire. As you slide down those slippery walls, you are well on your way to depression, and the darkness is profound.
Your only hope is to look up and see the Light of My Presence shining down on you. Though the Light looks dim from your perspective, deep in the pit, those rays of hope can reach you at any depth. While you focus on Me in trust, you rise ever so slowly out of the abyss of despair. Finally, you can reach up and grasp my hand. I will pull you out into the Light again. I will gently cleanse you, washing off the clinging mire. I will cover you with My righteousness and walk with you down the path of Life.
Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, July 16

Without going into unnecessary details, might I just say that this was a timely reminder. It is all too easy to focus on the bad, the disappointing, the frustrating negative aspects of life (at least when you tend to be a pessimist, even if you are a "happy pessimist!"). Instead, looking for that glimmer of hope, believing that everything happens for a reason, and repeating my personal mantra (EVERYTHING will be okay. Everything WILL be okay. Everything will be okay...) help that dark cloud pass by more quickly. I know I will never have the answers I seek. And, as difficult as that is to accept, I know searching and fretting will only result in further sinking. For now it is enough to know there is a reason and everything will be okay.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, I needed reminded of that too after this weekend.

    ReplyDelete