Tuesday, July 31, 2012

7 of 10- A Must Read

Yesterday I forgot to take my book with me to work. I typically read while I eat my lunch. I was a little bummed, I had recently started a new book and was hoping to really get into it. But never fear! I opened my NOOK app on my phone and started reading a book recently added to my shelf. No, I didn't break my rule and buy a new book. This book was gifted to me, directly to my NOOK. I didn't even know you could do that! But you can. And my mother did. So technically this book was on my shelf just not as long as many of the others.

The Golden Hat: Talking Back to Autism by Kate Winslet and Margret Ericsdottir. Yes, THE Kate Winslet. Kate met Margret while narrating her documentary. A friendship was born. The Golden Hat Foundation was born. This book was born. A relatively short book, containing numerous pictures (probably better in the actual book than on my NOOK or phone)- it is a moving collection of emails and writings; poetry written by a nonverbal autistic boy. It was a moving story, perhaps touching to me more because I have worked with nonverbal autism.... At any rate, I highly recommend this book and look forward to getting my hands on the documentary that started it all.

For more information about the Golden Hat Foundation visit: goldenhatfoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment