Saturday, July 21, 2012

Wondering- 6 of 10

"It is more important to pave the way for the child to WANT to know than to put him in a diet of facts he is not ready to assimilate" (Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder, p. 56, emphasis added).

Whoa! Now that I am a parent, that statement really hits home. I want Punky to be curious and inquisitive and develop her own sense of wonder. I need to not get caught up in facts and statistics and the like.

It has been a long time since I have finished a whole book in one day, let alone one sitting as I did this one. I guess it helps that this book is mostly pictures, amazingly beautiful pictures. This book was sent to me by my cousin- a reminder that it is never too early to be sharing the wonders of our earth with my daughter. And share I will. Her first (out of womb) ocean experience is rapidly approaching. And while the beaches we will visit will be tainted by tourists, there will still b enough nature and naturalness to stimulate her wonder.

Self- thank you for sharing this book with us. I can see it becoming a favorite in our house too.

No comments:

Post a Comment